Skip to main content

Taste, Value & Consumption

The theme I've decided to go with for this brief is Taste, Value & Consumption, I found this subject easy to relate to and feel like I can include my personal ethos into the accessory and the written element. 

After todays 1 to 1 I feel like this theme is exactly what I want to discuss. I've already started making links between both parts of the module, for example I want to look at function over aesthetic and feel the dry bag concept fits this perfectly. I need to look at the theory behind this title to ensure I fully understand ands make relevant points. So far I feel really positive about this brief and once I've collected materials and books I can make steps forward with the accessory and writing. 

The question I've started looking at is ' How is value assigned to an object in contemporary society and why is aesthetic valued more highly than function?' I feel like this question does summarise what I want to talk about and what I've been interested in outside of uni. When I'm shopping I try to be conscious about purchasing and not just for the sake of it, before I became aware of this I'd either purchase just because it was on offer or because I bought into trends. Since looking at my own shopping habits I now buy into items I need rather than buying because its a new trend or the latest item on the high street. From this I started becoming aware of brands that pride themselves on this ethos of quality/use over trends and realised we do live in a society that mostly care about the appearance and the trend of that season, this wasteful and fast turn over of items isn't questioned but I want to look into this and why people feel the need to buy into trends and have something that has a certain aesthetic rather than it just been functional. 

Hussein Chalayan, Spring/Summer 2014

"Oh, and about those hats on sticks: In the breeze corridor, it's hard to stabilize your headgear."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multi Use

I wanted to add another element to the bag so thinking about how I can do this was quite challenging. Some of the ideas I had that could make for a successful addiction are making it so it can roll up or adding pockets. I want to sample with both and see which one adds more functionality, I think by making it a belt as well will add this element to the bag. My next step for this project is to draw some sketches up and find a design that will represent my theme of function over aesthetic.   When the pocked it down and can be used:  The pocket rolled up so it can be used as a belt:  Bag harness is another way to make it multifunctional:

Save the Duck

Whilst looking into brands that have a specific ethos I came across this one called 'Save the Duck'. I personally like that they are cruelty free and vegan which is something I'd want to incorporate into my designs and practice as I live a vegan lifestyle. It's refreshing to know that there are brands out there that are creating contemporary garments that aren't made using animal and compromising the aesthetic or function of the jacket. Most of the jackets they sell are waterproof or have certain qualities that make them suitable for outdoor weather, the look of the garment is  still considered but it is obvious that the function and ensuring the garment is sustainable/recycled were possible is the main focus.  Here's the link to have a look at other styles and colours they do.  https://www.savetheduck.it/ce_en/men/fall-winter/focus-on/recycled.html

Final Images

Two final images: