Skip to main content

ALYX 9SM


I've been looking at a number of different resources to gain knowledge for my COP essay. One particular resource was this podcast with Matthew Williams, the founder of Alyx 9SM. I found it this podcast very interesting and its exciting to come across brands that are conscientious about that practice and want to make a change as well as influencing other to do the same. As a brand Alyx have done a number of collaborations with other designers which they will have influenced with sustainable practice. Not only this but as a brand they want to create pieces that are forever items are not to just throw away, looking at keeping functional items aesthetically pleasing as well. Generally they have a very sleek and minimal aesthetic which won't go out of trend because its not produced to fit a certain season/trend but instead stay in your wardrobe for years. I like that they have this type of look as its something I try to incorporate into my own wardrobe, having a few pieces that can transition into different seasons rather than loads of pieces that are only to be worn a few times. 

For me consumption of fashion is important and its crucial to be aware of trends and the negative impact of fast fashion. I will only buy into items are that something I can keep for years and not just the latest trend. I think that most people buy into trends because of the society we live in. Its almost important to people to have the latest item and have things that others desire, its a symbol of the status you want to uphold. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multi Use

I wanted to add another element to the bag so thinking about how I can do this was quite challenging. Some of the ideas I had that could make for a successful addiction are making it so it can roll up or adding pockets. I want to sample with both and see which one adds more functionality, I think by making it a belt as well will add this element to the bag. My next step for this project is to draw some sketches up and find a design that will represent my theme of function over aesthetic.   When the pocked it down and can be used:  The pocket rolled up so it can be used as a belt:  Bag harness is another way to make it multifunctional:

Save the Duck

Whilst looking into brands that have a specific ethos I came across this one called 'Save the Duck'. I personally like that they are cruelty free and vegan which is something I'd want to incorporate into my designs and practice as I live a vegan lifestyle. It's refreshing to know that there are brands out there that are creating contemporary garments that aren't made using animal and compromising the aesthetic or function of the jacket. Most of the jackets they sell are waterproof or have certain qualities that make them suitable for outdoor weather, the look of the garment is  still considered but it is obvious that the function and ensuring the garment is sustainable/recycled were possible is the main focus.  Here's the link to have a look at other styles and colours they do.  https://www.savetheduck.it/ce_en/men/fall-winter/focus-on/recycled.html

Final Images

Two final images: